Monday, July 13, 2015

The Jackhammer and the Chisel

Sometimes God wants a Chisel. Sometimes He wants a Jackhammer. And sometimes we Christians get the two mixed up. Not saying which Christian that might be, but she writes this blog.

Sometimes God wants a Chisel. He wants His children to tap away at an unbeliever bit by bit, until he is ready to hear His Word. Sometimes that could take days, weeks, months, or even years. Chisels are patient people, who have the ability to make enough cracks in someones armor so the Light shines through.

Sometimes God wants a Jackhammer. He wants His children to shatter walls and boundaries and let others know that God is here, He is listening, and they need to acknowledge Him now. Jackhammers aren't subtle folks; They're more like the swat-you-upside-the-head-and-pay-attention kinda people.

Put a Jackhammer on a Chiseler's job, and you can shatter someones spirit. Put a Chiseler on a Jackhammer's job, and the person you're trying to witness to will lose interest and shut you down faster than a New York subway. Ugh.

I'm mostly a Jackhammer. I've done a little Chiseling in my time, but mostly I'm the one who would be blunt, and tell you in no nonsense terms that you need God. Now. 
I admire the Chiselers of this world, because that have so much more patience than I do. 

Some people are good at both- they know when to be a Chiseler and when to be a Jackhammer. My husband is one of them. Maybe that's why he's a Deacon. He can get anyone to talk with him and has brought many people to God. He amazes me sometimes.

Now that I think about it, I'm more of a Chiseler concerning writing, and face-to-face I'm a Jackhammer. A friendly jackhammer, but a Jackhammer, nonetheless.

Sometimes I mess up and I'm the wrong tool at the wrong time. That's why it's good to have many Christians around you who are a good mix of both- so you can learn and refer people to them.

Are you a Jackhammer or a Chisel? Are you a bit of both? And the most important thing- are you helping others meet God?

I know it's hard. But no matter which tool you are, God loves you no matter what!

0 comments:

Post a Comment